Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

~Philippians 4:4-8

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Love Dare - Love is Thoughtful

I'm now leading the Love Dare for an online group of Moms. This is really making me think even more about these (we are doing one each week) so that I have something meaningful to share with the other moms each week.

Day 4 (or this week's dare for our group) is Love is Thoughtful. One thing it mentions is how when we first met we used to honestly be able to say "I can't stop thinking about you!" because it was true. We really did think about them all day long. We thought about the wonderful times we had just spent with them and dreamed about the future times we would have together. We thought about things we could do for them to let them know how much we were thinking of them.

But then we get married, get jobs, have children and start to take one another for granted. We no longer think about that person throughout our day, let alone think about what we could do to make them happy. The times we do tend to spend our day obsessing over them is usually because we are angry/hurt about something they did or said, not because we are thinking about how much we love them and can't stand having to wait to see them again.

So this week I want to dwell on those first months when my husband and I first started dating. Not as I have in the past when I look back and wonder where the "spark" went and why we no longer have it. No, instead of looking back longing for the days of old, I am going to look back and think about what I did different then, how I thought differently than I do now. Maybe that is what is really missing now, not a "spark" but a way of thinking.

I am going to remember how my heart raced when I saw him walk into a room and ask myself why that happened then. Maybe it was because during the day leading up to that sighting I had been thinking constantly on all the wonderful qualities of this man (okay so he was a boy at the time!) that I had just started dating.

I'm going to make an effort to do two things. One, to dwell throughout my day on what a wonderful man the Lord has blessed me with and two, to rediscover what things I can do or say to be thoughtful towards this man. How can I make his day better? Not because I want him to treat me that way but because I love him and have a desire to please him.

No comments: