Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

~Philippians 4:4-8

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Improving your Marriage by Gazing Upon Him

I've recently started a study of David and his heart for God.  I have a desire to one day stand before my Lord and hear the words "Well done my good and faithful servant.  You are a woman after my own heart."

I posted about gazing on God's beauty on my other blog today and how the more I pursue and understanding of God's heart, emotions and love for me the greater my love for Him grows.  As this love grows my desire to follow Him and spend time with Him also grows.  I don't need to earn His love nor can I.  I don't have to work to be a "good" christian because as I realize how passionate he is about me I will naturally walk closer with Him.

Now you may ask - why post here if I already posted on my other blog tonight about this?  The reason is because focusing on God's beauty and His heart not only draws me closer to Him, it draws me closer to my dear husband.  As I gaze upon God and pursue an understanding of His heart, I am naturally filled with love for Him.  This love overflows into my other relationships as well.

I've found that as I fall more and more in love with my Lord, I'm also falling in love with my husband all over again.  Those giddy high school girl feelings that I had 17 years ago when he would walk in the room are coming back.  I'm focusing on all the things I love about him instead of those things that annoy me.  And I'm doing this without any effort because it is just coming naturally, like it did when we first started dating.  It is amazing!

So today - my advice for each of you out there who wants to improve your relationship with your husband is to pursue an understanding of God's love for you.  As you do, His love will fill you and overflow onto your husband.  As you gaze upon the Lord, He will open your eyes and heart to see yourself and your beloved in a new light.

No comments: